Wednesday, August 24, 2011

GB Flash Cart AM29F032B-90EC TSOP Adapter

I did it. I figured out how to work with Cadsoft Eagle and now I have a pcb design :D



I AM going to order some sweet purple pcb's from a website I found -- http://dorkbotpdx.org/wiki/pcb_order -- word!!

 now, I need to get me some more flash memory! Pokemon Pinball is going to get PizOWNED 8)

How to Make an IC Adapter in Cadsoft Eagle
IT'S SO EASY GUYS.... ..



This will teach you how to use a  pre-existing Library Package in Eagle and do fun stuff with it. I, for example, went into the AMD AM29 library and used to TSOP 40-pin package to make the adapter pictured above.. IF you are looking / trying to do something like that, then you have come to the right place!!!

Editing the Package

step 1. Create a new Board......
step 2. Click Library -> Open, find your library, in our case, AM29

step 3. Now click package to EDIT A PACKAGE, and find your package, in my case, TSOP-40 


step 4. Now you will see purely the chip.... 
At first, I was using this package in the board file and then trying to add VIA's and add the signals but they wouldnt connect!! You NEED to add pads directly by editing the package itself and saving it!!! which is what I did...
<-  To add pads, simply click on the pad tool!!! 
We end up having something like the following ...
Of course there are a few added tweaks here, like labels. Simply use the text tool for that.. (T)

Step 7. Save your new package!! I decided to save a whole new library, which is very innefficient, because I forgot about the BEST WAY to do it -> pick the package you want to edit.. copy it, then click "PACKAGE" once again and this time write in a new name next to "NEW: " and click OK. Now paste and add pads!! This way, you don't need to save the entire library like I did before -.-

Connecting Signals

Step 8. Go back to your board and bring in the Package by clicking on Add  
<- Add 
 ..Then you simply click on the signal tool 


<-- Signal Tool
and connect IC pins to pads!! You should be able to figure this part out easily...
About to connect pin1 to a pad

Eventually your board will look like this--

At this point it is ready to be ROUTED - making real traces baby..

Auto-Router
Click on the auto-router tool now.. 
Preferred directions is intuitive.. I usually keep it as * *, which I think means anything goes... Here I have my routing grid set to 6 mil because I am sending this design to a fabricator using 6mil traces and spaces... feel free to mess around with it and see results..  Click OK now.



BAM. It's done.. If it did not come out the way you like, you can rip up certain connections, or all connections by using the ripup tool
If you want to rip up all connections, simply click on the green light at the top of your project 

Or, click on the traces u want to convert to air signals again. You can re-autoroute these signals. You can also route manually, but it involves specifying the exact width and angles is a general pain in the butt IMO. If you want to do that just click on


Always remember to do a DRC check with your 'manufacturer's' DRC file when its done.. you can do that just by hitting the DRC check button 

Load up the DRC file once, and it will stay in there even after you quit... I love it!! Eagle reminds you when you change the board too much, and that you should perform a new DRC check. it's great :)

Now that you are done, relax and enjoy, send that design away, or product it yourself cause you're bad-ass!

Ok well I hope you had fun learning this stuff!!! :DD Take care guys...

No comments:

Post a Comment